The Latest (And Weirdest) Developments in Artificial Intelligence
Artificial intelligence is extending into all industries and arenas, with 2017 seeing a year of AI firsts — some more bizarre than others. From the religion to education to entertainment, read on to discover the latest … and the oddest.
The First Church of Artificial Intelligence
“What is going to be created will effectively be a god. It’s not a god in the sense that it makes lightning or causes hurricanes. But if there is something a billion times smarter than the smartest human, what else are you going to call it?” – Wired Magazine
Anthony Levandowski, a self-driving car engineer previously employed by Google and Uber, has filed paperwork with the Internal Revenue Service to establish his new AI church called “Way of the Future” (WOTF). Levandowski told Wired, WOTF is not exclusively for software engineers and tech gurus.
Its purpose, like any other religious institution, is to establish a community and learn more about what it means to be divine. According to its IRS non-profit status application, WOTF will focus on …
- “The realization, acceptance, and worship of a Godhead based on Artificial Intelligence (AI) developed through computer hardware and software”
- Funding research to help create the divine AI itself.
- Build working relationships with AI industry leaders and create a membership through community outreach
- Conduct workshops and educational programs throughout the San Francisco/Bay Area beginning in 2017
- Plans are for WOTF to have a worship space, a gospel called “The Manual,” and liturgy.
- Levandowski is not receiving a salary for his work, and WOTF’s is expected to raise “$20,000 in gifts, $1,500 in membership fees, and $20,000 in other revenue in 2017.
- Levandowski believes that he will be the facilitator of the peaceful transition of power from the human race to the “superhuman computer God.”
The First AI Album
“Artificial intelligence is already being employed to write music, and Los Angeles-based musician and YouTube video star Taryn Southern is getting in on the ground floor by recording the first album composed entirely using AI.” – The Toronto Star
Musician Taryn Southern is working on releasing an AI-assisted pop album titled, I AM AI. To help her complete the album, she is using programs like
Southern emphasized that there are still human elements to her creation process, like rearranging tempos and writing lyrics. And she is not worried about a robot takeover of music stating, “The electric guitar, the synthesizer, drum machines, samplers and digital production software” were all also viewed as evil technology in their infancy and AI would follow the same path.
The First AI Classroom?
“While many of us have even seen headlines predicting that robots will begin replacing teachers within the next ten years, good teachers will never become obsolete. However, Artificial Intelligence is beginning to transform classrooms through customizable content and tracking and monitoring diagnostics.” – GettingSmart.com
Leading education companies are jumping on the AI bandwagon to improve teaching and learning in the classroom. From grading to tutoring to testing, corporations are getting creative in their ways to incorporate AI.
- Pearson Education is putting its efforts into creating “a range of online games based on AI.”
- Mindojo — an online tutoring company — is developing algorithms that both teach and study you to get to know exactly who you are.
- Test makers are creating adaptive tests, to mold questions to individual students
Some claim, since AI is the way of the future, schools should focus more on social and emotional learning and leave the textbook teaching to bots.
Be the First in the Business
AI is establishing itself in many fun and interesting ways and has proven to be a powerhouse in the corporate world. Contact Novatio Solutions and see how our digital workforce can help you be the first in the business of using AI to help your firm.